ThoughtFarmer Software Tester – Junior
Reports to: Software Development Manager
Help us build things that work.
Quality Assurance is often the unsung hero of the software development world, ignored and left to the last minute, an afterthought… Except at ThoughtFarmer. We firmly believe that any solution is only as good as how well it’s built. And we take our building very, very seriously. We improve employee engagement and productivity by deploying powerful, intuitive social intranets that foster communication and collaboration. This is your chance to be a part of something that makes work better!
As Software Tester, you will be the last line of defense against bugs, inconsistencies, performance flaws, and basically anything that impacts how well our software serves the needs of our clients and their users. You’re naturally curious, always inquisitive, unafraid to make mistakes and try again, passionate for technology, flexible, self-motivated, and driven to invest time in learning new languages, tools, environments and technologies.
As a Software Tester at ThoughtFarmer you will…
- Work closely with the lead QA engineer
- Participate in the entire project life-cycle from design to release and maintenance;
- Assess requirements for testability;
- Perform exploratory, session and risk-based testing;
- Analyze testing metrics, allowing for solution-focused suggestions and new testing approaches;
- Participate in quality assurance reviews of functional specifications and design documents;
- Script automated tests;
- Collaborate with developers and product owners, managers, and leads to understand project requirements;
- Evaluate test results to determine compliance with test plans, established business processes and business requirements;
- Take ownership of product quality and courageously stand against the tyranny of “good enough”.
Is this the right fit? Here are some requirements.
Minimum education and job experience
- You are a Post-Secondary graduate. It doesn’t necessarily have to be in Computer Science because we’ve found that good people who are capable of critical thinking come from all disciplines.
- Or you are not a Post-Secondary graduate, but you can explain why the skills that you do have make that fact totally irrelevant.
We also want you to have experience with:
- Working both independently and within a team environment;
- Open source and commercial test management and test execution tools;
- Multi-tasking (prioritizing and executing) and working well under pressure to meet deadlines;
- Navigating and working through challenges with a positive attitude;
- Participating in customer discussions regarding project status;
- Automation, performance testing, and ability to drive testing automation initiatives; and
- Experience with Microsoft environments, revision control software and SQL databases.
Tools we use:
- Microsoft Windows, ASP.NET
- C#, NUnit
- SQL Server
- Jira / Bitbucket
What we offer
OpenRoad offers competitive wages for staff, overtime pay (yes, you read that right-overtime pay), and great benefits. You will also have the opportunity to attend conferences, participate in staff events, and enjoy birthday cake/beer/whiskey/pop at least once a month. We’re proud of the high quality solutions that we deliver to our clients but most importantly, we’re proud of the people that make it happen. Our clients are global, but our flexible working environment is located in downtown Vancouver and is easily accessible by bus, SeaBus, SkyTrain, and West Coast Express. We’re self-funded and profitable.
How to Apply
Email your resume and a cover letter explaining why you would be a great fit for our team to firstname.lastname@example.org. To help make the process smoother for everyone, please include the job title and your name in the subject line.
Only candidates that meet the minimum requirements will be considered. No phone calls please. Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. High-five if you read and adhere to the small print.
More about OpenRoad